Sprin­kler sys­tem douses apart­ment fire

A pan of oil heat­ing on the stove sparked fire, YFD says

Yuma Sun - - NEWS - BY JAMES GIL­BERT @YSJAMESGILBERT James Gil­bert can be reached at jgilbert@yu­masun.com or 5396854. Find him on Face­book at www.Face­book.com/YSJamesGilbert or on Twit­ter @YSJamesGilbert.

A sprin­kler sys­tem pre­vented a fire that started in­side an apart­ment from spread­ing to the rest of the build­ing Thurs­day af­ter­noon, ac­cord­ing to a Yuma Fire Depart­ment spokesper­son.

Mike Er­fert said that at about 3 p.m. a stove was re­ported to be on fire in­side one of the apart­ments at the La Posada Apart­ment Com­plex, 1900 W. 30th St.

Once on scene, fire­fight­ers made en­try into a first-story apart­ment and found that a fire sprin­kler head in the kitchen had ex­tin- guished a fire that started on the stove top.

Fire­fight­ers shut down the sprin­kler head and made sure the fire was com­pletely out and had not spread. They then worked quickly to vent the heat and smoke from the fire out of the apart­ment, and re­move the water re­leased dur­ing the activation.

It was de­ter­mined a pan of oil heat­ing on the stove had flashed to flame. There were light soot stains on the wall be­hind the stove and slight heat dam­age to cab­i­nets above the stove.

One of the res­i­dents also at­tempted to put the fire out by us­ing a fire ex­tin­guisher that was mounted just out­side the apart­ment, but the sprin­kler had al­ready knocked down the fire.

This is at least the 4th fire sprin­kler save in the last month.

Fire sprin­kler sys­tems can keep fires from spread­ing and can also ex­tin­guish them. Fire spreads quickly and can dou­ble in size ev­ery minute. Even small fires can cause sig­nif­i­cant dam­age to prop­erty and en­dan­ger those nearby.

Con­trary to many Hol­ly­wood por­tray­als, only sprin­kler heads di­rectly ex­posed to the heat ac­ti­vate, not those in the rest of the room, build­ing or com­plex.

LOANED PHOTO/YUMA FIRE DEPART­MENT

A SPRIN­KLER SYS­TEM PRE­VENTED A FIRE THAT STARTED IN­SIDE a Yuma apart­ment from spread­ing to the rest of the build­ing Thurs­day af­ter­noon. It was de­ter­mined that a pan of oil heat­ing on the stove had flashed into flame.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from USA

© PressReader. All rights reserved.