Granny burns girl (8) for stolen $1

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page - Sukul­wenkosi Dube-Matutu

A 60-YEAR-OLD woman from Mangwe burnt her eight-year-old granddaughter with a red hot iron rod for steal­ing $1 from her.

Lucy Ncube of May­obodo placed an iron rod in a fire and then burnt Ina­mandla Ng­wenya, a Grade 4 pupil at May­obodo Pri­mary School, on her legs and thighs.

Ncube was con­victed on her own plea of guilty to phys­i­cal abuse by Plumtree mag­is­trate, Mr Li­vard Phile­mon.

She was sen­tenced to 12 months im­pris­on­ment and three months were sus­pended on con­di­tion that she does not com­mit an of­fence of the same na­ture within that pe­riod.

The re­main­ing nine months were sus­pended on con­di­tion that she per­forms 315 hours of com­mu­nity ser­vice at Bango Clinic. Pros­e­cut­ing, Mrs Rose Sibanda said Ncube scalded her granddaughter on April 20 at around 5PM after dis­cov­er­ing that she had stolen $1 from her. “On 20 April, Ncube asked her granddaughter if she had seen a $1 note which had gone miss­ing from her bag and the girl re­vealed that she had used the money to buy some chips at school. “Ncube be­came fu­ri­ous and placed an iron rod in a fire. When it was hot she used it to burn her granddaughter sev­eral times on the legs and thighs as pun­ish­ment for us­ing the money. Ncube only stopped after Ina­mandla’s el­der sis­ter in­ter­vened,” said Mrs Sibanda. SIX po­lice of­fi­cers al­legedly con­nived with four civil­ians and mounted a fake road­block in Belvedere, Harare where they way­laid and robbed an In­dian busi­ness­man of more than $56 000.

They al­legedly used the money to buy ex­pen­sive ve­hi­cles.

Three mem­bers of the gang have since been ar­rested and the ve­hi­cles which they had bought with the pro­ceeds were re­cov­ered.

The ve­hi­cles in­cluded a Mercedes Benz, Toy­ota Al­tezza and a Mazda Fa­milia. They bought the ve­hi­cles on the same day on July 27. It is the State’s case that the gang had in­side in­for­ma­tion that Mr Junaid Per­vaiz was trans­port­ing money from his shop to his house in Belvedere.

Dick­son Morosi (32), Kundai Mak­warimba (35) and Fortune Sibanda (29) yes­ter­day ap­peared be­fore mag­is­trate Mr Tendai Mahwe charged with theft.

They were re­manded in cus­tody to to­day for bail ap­pli­ca­tion. Their al­leged ac­com­plices are still at large. Mak­warimba and Sibanda are po­lice of­fi­cers sta­tioned at Harare Cen­tral and Po­lice Pro­tec­tion Unit Es­corts, Mor­ris Depot re­spec­tively while Morosi’s brother, who is still at large, is also a po­lice­man.

The three are be­ing rep­re­sented by Mr Tawanda Takaen­desa of Mugiya and Macharaga legal prac­ti­tion­ers.

Ac­cord­ing to the State, Morosi led to the re­cov­ery of a Mazda Fa­milia and $500 cash while Mak­warimba had the Al­tezza he had bought im­pounded.

Sibanda led the po­lice to the re­cov­ery of a Mercedes Benz.

The State will seek to prove that on July 26 at around 3PM, the trio and their seven ac­com­plices hatched a plan to rob Mr Per­vaiz who op­er­ates a tis­sue man­u­fac­tur­ing com­pany along Seke Road, Harare.

Pros­e­cut­ing, Mr Se­bas­tian Mu­tizirwa al­leged that the gang got in­side in­for­ma­tion that Mr Per­vaiz was car­ry­ing a large sum of money from his busi­ness premises to his house.

Act­ing in con­nivance and in pur­suance to their plan, the gang, the court heard, drove in two mo­tor ve­hi­cles — a sil­ver Toy­ota Spa­cio and a Honda Fit both with­out reg­is­tra­tion num­ber plates and way­laid the busi­ness­man along Hud­son Road, Belvedere.

They had mounted a fake po­lice road­block with two of them wear­ing po­lice uni­forms and traf­fic re­flec­tive sleeves.

As the com­plainant ap­proached the “road­block” while driv­ing in his Toy­ota RunX, he was flagged down by the gang and he com­plied, the State al­leged.

The court fur­ther heard that they forcibly pulled out his car keys from the ig­ni­tion and searched his mo­tor ve­hi­cle.

They found a black satchel which was on the back pas­sen­ger seat and demanded to know its con­tents.

One of the ac­cused per­sons then opened the satchel and dis­cov­ered the cash amount­ing to $56,800.

They sud­denly grabbed the bag and jumped into their getaway cars and drove off leav­ing the com­plainant at the scene.

They also went with his car keys and Mr Per­vaiz re­ported the mat­ter at ZRP Milton Park.

She said Ina­mandla suf­fered se­vere burns as a re­sult of the as­sault but her grand­mother did not take her to hospi­tal.

In­stead, she used tra­di­tional medicine in a bid to con­ceal the of­fence.

The mat­ter came to light after a neigh­bour tipped the po­lice about the at­tack.

Mrs Sibanda said Ina­mandla was re­ferred to Plumtree District Hospi­tal for treat­ment.

In mit­i­ga­tion, Ncube said she was an­gry be­cause she had wanted to use the stolen money.

“I apol­o­gise Your Wor­ship. I did not mean to hurt my grand­child but her ac­tions an­gered me. I only re­alised after I had burnt her that I had done some­thing wrong but I was not think­ing straight at the time. I was sup­posed to use that money for house­hold ex­penses,” she said.


Lucy Ncube

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.