4 years jail for 2 pupils preg­nant

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - National News - Mashudu Net­sianda

A BEIT­BRIDGE clear­ing agent who im­preg­nated two schools girls af­ter us­ing money as a bait to lure them be­fore later dump­ing them, has been sen­tenced to four years in jail.

Rayson Ts­van­gi­rai Rush­waya (26) of Dulibadz­imu sub­urb al­legedly used his aunt, a Form Four pupil at Vhembe High School to lure her peers into the sex trap.

He lured his vic­tims to his house and ho­tel rooms where he al­legedly gave them ei­ther some in­tox­i­cat­ing stuff or drugs be­fore sex­u­ally abus­ing them.

Many girls are re­ported to have fal­llen vic­tim but only two re­ported the abuse to the po­lice.

Beit­bridge pro­vin­cial res­i­dent mag­is­trate Ms Glo­ria Takundwa con­victed Rush­waya of two counts of kid­nap­ping in terms of sec­tion 93(1) (b) of the Crim­i­nal Law (Cod­i­fi­ca­tion and Re­form) Act, which makes it an of­fence to de­tain a child be­low 17 years of age with­out the con­sent of his or her par­ents. Rush­waya will serve an ef­fec­tive two years in jail af­ter two years were sus­pended for five years on con­di­tion that he does not within that pe­riod com­mit a sim­i­lar crime.

In mit­i­ga­tion, he pleaded with the mag­is­trate not to send him to jail and of­fered to pay a fine and com­pen­sate the par­ents of the vic­tims.

In pass­ing the sentence, Ms Takundwa said the courts had a duty to pro­tect in­no­cent vic­tims of sex­ual abuse by send­ing of­fend­ers to jail.

The mag­is­trate said although the girls went to Rush­waya will­ingly, the par­ents of the two com­plainants had not re­lin­quished cus­tody of their chil­dren.

Pros­e­cut­ing, Mr Lloyd Mup­fungidza said be­tween Oc­to­ber and Novem­ber last year, Rush­waya pro­posed love to a 17-year-old school girl and she agreed. He then went on to stay with the girl with­out the con­sent of her par­ents. The court heard that when the girl fell preg­nant, a mis­un­der­stand­ing en­sued be­tween the two lovers. Rush­waya kicked the girl out of his house and she tried to com­mit sui­cide be­fore he took her back.

Rush­waya and the com­plainant had an­other dis­pute and he chased the girl away and she re­ported the mat­ter to the po­lice.

The court heard that in Fe­bru­ary this year, Rush­waya took an­other teenager and lived with her with­out her mother’s con­sent. He later tried to en­gage the girl’s mother for lobola ne­go­ti­a­tions, but the wo­man re­fused and took her daugh­ter back home. A month later, the girl fled from home to set­tle with Rush­waya prompt­ing the girl’s mother to re­port the mat­ter, lead­ing to Rush­waya’s ar­rest. — @mash­nets.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.