Armed rob­bers strike again, get away with $26

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page - Whins­ley Masara

TWO men bran­dish­ing pis­tols pounced on an En­gen Ser­vice Sta­tion in Mag­wegwe sub­urb in Bu­l­awayo and got away with $26 and a cell­phone early yes­ter­day morn­ing.

The two rob­bers ar­rived at the Ser­vice Sta­tion at around mid­night and frisked a fuel at­ten­dant and se­cu­rity guard at gun point.

Act­ing Bu­l­awayo po­lice spokesper­son As­sis­tant In­spec­tor Abed­nico Ncube con­firmed the in­ci­dent.

Mr Bon­gani Dube (19), a petrol at­ten­dant, said two men walked to­wards him at the ser­vice sta­tion say­ing they wanted to buy fuel.

“They were not driv­ing but asked if we could lend them a jerry can which they wanted to fill up with fuel. They said their ve­hi­cle had run out of fuel near the ser­vice sta­tion.

“We told them we didn’t have one and there was no way we could sell them fuel with­out a proper con­tainer,” he said.

Mr Dube said the duo sud­denly drew guns from their pock­ets.

“They thought the se­cu­rity guard was the petrol at­ten­dant. They pushed me to­wards a parked ve­hi­cle and de­manded cash and safe keys from the se­cu­rity guard.

“They con­cen­trated on Shep­ard (the se­cu­rity guard). As they searched him, I quickly took out the cash that was in my top pocket, which was $160, my cell phone and stashed them be­hind a car seat,” he said.

Mr Dube said the rob­bers didn’t no­tice that and by the time they turned to search him, they only found $26 which was in a lower pocket of his trousers.

“They didn’t ask for any­thing else but im­me­di­ately fled from the ser­vice sta­tion through the back gate. Min­utes later when we had calmed down, we looked for them but they were nowhere to be seen,” he said.

Mr Dube said the two men seemed to be in their 30s. Po­lice said they were look­ing for the sus­pects. “I can con­firm re­ceiv­ing an armed rob­bery re­port where two men robbed ser­vice sta­tion em­ploy­ees at gun point and got away with $26 cash and a Galaxy S 1 cell phone.

“The rob­bers fled from the scene and in­ves­ti­ga­tions are un­der­way,” said Asst Insp Ncube.

He urged busi­ness­peo­ple to avoid keep­ing large sums of money at their busi­ness premises.

“As po­lice we’re ap­peal­ing to mem­bers of the pub­lic not to keep large sums of money in their premises. They should de­posit the money in banks,” said Asst Insp Ncube.

The rob­bery comes barely a day af­ter an­other team of four gun-tot­ing rob­bers got away with over $20 000 at the Sa­vanna Tobacco of­fices in Wind­sor Park.

They gagged and tied up a cashier iden­ti­fied as Miss Azel­lia Mad­zor­era af­ter forc­ing her to give them keys to a safe.

The rob­bers took $20 675 and fled in a Honda Fit ve­hi­cle.

In July, rob­bers pounced at Barons Mo­tor Spares in Bu­l­awayo and got away with about $36 000. The closed-cir­cuit tele­vi­sion (CCTV) and the alarms at the shop were dis­abled dur­ing the elab­o­rate rob­bery at one of the city’s big­gest ve­hi­cle spares out­lets.

Last year, a group of masked bur­glars blew up safes at Bu­l­awayo’s Belle­vue Chop­pies su­per­mar­ket (for­merly Belle­vue Spar) and got away with more than $16 000. The rob­bers al­legedly used shears to cut through the roof of the out­let dur­ing the night.

Po­lice ar­rested the rob­bers barely a week af­ter they com­mit­ted the crime. A few weeks be­fore that, rob­bers hit Bu­l­awayo’s Rich­mond Spar and got away with more than $10 000. Two months ago, rob­bers pounced on six Bu­l­awayo schools and got away with more than $4 000.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.