Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page -

Mr Mu­leya and Ms Komba’s son, Shep­herd Mu­leya, 24, who stays at an­other house in the sub­urb, told The

that he watched his fa­ther die as they were wait­ing for trans­port to take him to the hos­pi­tal.

“I was at the Mabutweni shop­ping cen­tre, where I work as a disc jockey when my younger brother, 17, who stays at home, came to me run­ning. He was ter­ri­fied and could not tell me what was go­ing on. He pulled me by the hand and showed me our fa­ther ly­ing on the ground.

“He had car­ried him from home to the mar­ket, near the shops, so that we could or­gan­ise trans­port to take him to the hos­pi­tal. All he could tell me was that he had a fight with our mother,” said Shep­herd.

He said he ques­tioned his younger brother be­cause he thought it was im­pos­si­ble for his mother to at­tack their fa­ther in such a man­ner.

“Our mother is ill and she’s al­ways in and out of hos­pi­tal. They’ve al­ways had mis­un­der­stand­ings but I thought it was im­pos­si­ble for her to at­tack him and leave him for dead.

“My brother then told me that our mother had brought a man home and a fight en­sued after they found our fa­ther there,” said Shep­herd, who was still wear­ing a blood stained T-shirt.

The two, he added, failed to get trans­port to take their fa­ther to the hos­pi­tal and they watched him die.

“I called the am­bu­lance and I was told it would come but a bit late be­cause they were all out. My brother and I both tried call­ing our friends for help but we failed to get trans­port un­til he died.

“We car­ried his body back home with as­sis­tance from neigh­bours and cov­ered it with a blan­ket be­fore call­ing the po­lice,” said Shep­herd.

He said Nomzy, who he was see­ing for the first time yes­ter­day, told the po­lice that he knew noth­ing about their fa­ther’s death.

“He told the po­lice that my fa­ther broke win­dows dur­ing the fight and sus­tained in­juries, which led to bleed­ing and his sub­se­quent death,” he said.

Shep­herd said his par­ents, who had seven chil­dren to­gether, were no longer hus­band and wife although his fa­ther would visit oc­ca­sion­ally to see his chil­dren.

“My fa­ther wanted things to work be­tween them and vis­ited fre­quently to see his chil­dren. He was al­ways tak­ing my mother to hos­pi­tal when she wasn’t well but com­plained that my mother goes out drink­ing and brings other men home,” he said.

Ms Komba’s brother-in-law, Mr Twoboy Moyo, who also lives in Mabutweni, said she stopped stay­ing with her ex-hus­band be­cause he was al­ways phys­i­cally as­sault­ing her.

“After sep­a­rat­ing from her hus­band, my sis­ter-in­law mar­ried an­other man and they had two chil­dren to­gether be­fore he died. She got mar­ried to an­other man and they briefly stayed to­gether be­fore he also died.

“Since that time, she’s been stay­ing with her chil­dren, try­ing to find a part­ner to share her life with. Her ex-hus­band never used to visit,” said Mr Moyo.

He said he started vis­it­ing when he lost his job where he was work­ing in Kil­lar­ney but would sleep in a sep­a­rate room from his ex-wife.

“We thought all was well un­til one of their chil­dren knocked at my house at mid­night telling me there was a fight at home. We rushed to the scene and found him dead. His chil­dren had called the po­lice, who at­tended the scene,” said Mr Moyo.

Bulawayo pro­vin­cial po­lice spokesper­son In­spec­tor Pre­cious Si­mango could not be reached for com­ment yes­ter­day.— @pame­lashumba1

Vice Pres­i­dent Em­mer­son Mnan­gagwa

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.