2 cops com­mit sui­cide over mar­i­tal woes

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - National News - Mid­lands Re­porters

TWO po­lice of­fi­cers from Gweru com­mit­ted sui­cide on con­sec­u­tive days, one by hang­ing and another down­ing a poi­sonous sub­stance, both over do­mes­tic prob­lems.

Ray­mond Maponga, who was a sergeant, of As­cot In­fill in Gweru and was de­ployed at the Mid­lands Po­lice Op­er­a­tions De­part­ment, al­legedly took poi­son on Tues­day morn­ing fol­low­ing a mis­un­der­stand­ing with his wife Sabina over an undis­closed is­sue.

How­ever, close rel­a­tives al­leged that the two had a mis­un­der­stand­ing over al­leged in­fi­delity re­sult­ing in Maponga tak­ing his life.

Obey Nduna, a con­sta­ble, of Mkoba Vil­lage 15 in Gweru based at Mkoba 1 Po­lice sta­tion com­mit­ted sui­cide by hang­ing him­self from a tree on Wed­nes­day morn­ing over a series of so­cial prob­lems.

Chief po­lice spokesper­son, Se­nior Com­mis­sioner Char­ity Charamba said:

“I am not aware of the in­ci­dents. I will have to in­quire with the re­spon­si­ble sta­tions. I am go­ing into a meet­ing and will fur­nish you with any de­tails re­lated to that once I get the re­port.”

How­ever, it is said Maponga left home at around 6.45AM and did not no­tify his wife where he was go­ing.

“His wife phoned him at around 7.13AM in­quir­ing on his where­abouts and he in­formed her that he wanted to com­mit sui­cide be­fore hang­ing up,” said a po­lice source.

“Maponga then sent a mes­sage to his younger brother, As­sis­tant Rodgers, whom he was stay­ing with and told him that he wanted to com­mit sui­cide be­cause he was hav­ing prob­lems with his wife. Maponga asked Rodgers to look af­ter his chil­dren be­fore switch­ing off his mo­bile phone.”

“The brother told Sabina what her hus­band had said and she tried to con­tact him but his mo­bile phone was not reach­able. Maponga did not re­turn home on the day.”

His body was dis­cov­ered on the fol­low­ing day at around 3PM, near Gweru River Bridge near Gweru Cen­tral Busi­ness Dis­trict (CBD) and a re­port was made to the po­lice.

The body was taken to Gweru Pro­vin­cial Hospi­tal (GPH) mor­tu­ary, awaiting post­mortem.

The Chron­i­cle is re­li­ably in­formed that Nduna (25) left home at around 4AM on Wed­nes­day.

He in­formed his wife, Mercy, that he was go­ing to visit a friend but took a rope which they used to draw wa­ter from a well.

A rel­a­tive who spoke on con­di­tion of anonymity said that at around 8.20 AM, a se­cu­rity guard who was man­ning Bata Shoe Com­pany res­i­den­tial stands in Mkoba Vil­lage 19 dis­cov­ered Nduna’s body while pa­trolling the area.

“A se­cu­rity guard was do­ing his rou­tine checks at Bata res­i­den­tial stands near Mkoba vil­lage 19 when he dis­cov­ered Nduna’s body hang­ing from a tree. He in­formed the po­lice who at­tended the scene and fer­ried Nduna’s body to GPH awaiting post­mortem,” said the source.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.