Sev­eral miss­ing af­ter flash flood hits Jo­han­nes­burg

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Worldwide -

DUR­BAN — Sev­eral peo­ple are still miss­ing fol­low­ing Wed­nes­day’s flash flood, Jo­han­nes­burg Metropoli­tan Po­lice De­part­ment said.

About seven peo­ple were un­ac­counted for af­ter their ve­hi­cles were washed away dur­ing flood­ing that brought traf­fic to a stand­still, JMPD spokesper­son Wayne Min­naar said.

By 22:00 the M1 was still flooded at the Athol Road onand off-ramps in Mel­rose.

Min­naar said the N3 Buc­cleuch in­ter­change was flooded in both di­rec­tions and the N3 was flooded in both di­rec­tions at Links­field Road.

“Ap­prox­i­mately six ve­hi­cles drove over the em­bank­ment at around 20:00. Mo­torists are en­cour­aged not to drive through roads which are flooded,” Min­naar warned.

Lieu­tenant Kobedi Mokhe­seng, spokesper­son for the Ekurhu­leni metro po­lice, told Netwerk24 that the N3, N12 and R21 in and around the city were flooded by about 17:00. “We got San­ral in to come unblock the storm wa­ter drains on the na­tional roads, but it was near im­pos­si­ble due to the fast-flow­ing wa­ter and the dark­ness,” Mokhe­seng said. “Emer­gengy ser­vices have their hands full.” He warned that the N3 and N12 were crime hotspots and the SAPS were on the scene to pro­tect stranded mo­torists. He urged stranded mo­torists to stay calm. “It is go­ing to be long night,” he said.

Pri­vate paramedic ser­vices EMER-G-MED ear­lier said that one per­son had been con­firmed dead, the num­ber had risen to two at around 21:08, af­ter another vic­tim who had drowned, had been re­cov­ered. Mo­torists trav­el­ling to the OR Tambo In­ter­na­tional Air­port and pas­sen­gers who were trav­el­ling were also af­fected.

Ac­cord­ing to Trav­eller24 Air­ports Com­pany South Africa con­firmed that there were knock-on flight de­lays due to the storm and that ac­cess roads to the air­port have been flooded and trav­ellers should avoid the high­ways.

ACSA’s spokesper­son Diedre Davids was not im­me­di­ately avail­able to com­ment.

A prom­i­nent busi­ness­man, who asked not to be named, who was stuck at OR Tambo on Wed­nes­day night told News24 that he had been wait­ing at the air­port since 16:00.

His flight, which was sched­uled to de­part at around 19:30, de­parted at around 21:45.

“I am on a flight that was sup­posed to leave at 19:30. We are in­side but we have not taken off. Other flights are mov­ing around the air­port. The only af­fected area was Links­field on the N3 all the way to the road lead­ing to Eastgate.”

Ear­lier News24 re­ported that a bound­ary wall at the Jo­han­nes­burg Zoo had col­lapsed, spokesper­son Jenny Mood­ley has con­firmed that no one was hurt, in­clud­ing the an­i­mals. — AFP

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.