$1 500 med­i­cal bill for hit and run vic­tim

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Opinion/national News - Whins­ley Masara Chron­i­cle Reporter

A BULAWAYO fam­ily is ap­peal­ing for about $1 500 to cover med­i­cal ex­penses for its 18-year-old son who is bat­tling for life in the In­ten­sive Care Unit at Mpilo Cen­tral Hos­pi­tal.

Mr Lot Ncube (18) was in­volved in a hit and run ac­ci­dent, where a ve­hi­cle with South African num­ber plates hit him and sped off in Nku­lumane sub­urb, leav­ing him in a pool of blood.

He sus­tained se­ri­ous head in­juries, broke his neck and left leg.

Act­ing Bulawayo pro­vin­cial po­lice spokesper­son As­sis­tant In­spec­tor Abed­nico Ncube con­firmed the ac­ci­dent.

“We re­ceived a re­port on a hit and run in­ci­dent and po­lice are on the look­out for the cul­prit. We are ap­peal­ing to any­one with in­for­ma­tion which may lead to the ar­rest of the driver to contact their near­est po­lice sta­tion,” he said.

His fa­ther, Mr Love­more Ncube said they are ap­peal­ing for fi­nan­cial as­sis­tance to get his son treated.

He said he was in the city cen­tre at around 5 PM on Satur­day when he re­ceived a phone call in­form­ing his son had been hit by a car.

“On­look­ers said Lot was hit by a at­tempt to stop.

“We got in­for­ma­tion of a house he had gone to in Nku­lumane 10 and when we got there, we were told he was just a malay­it­sha whom they were not fa­mil­iar with,” he said.

Mr Ncube said when po­lice tried to contact the malay­it­sha on the cell­phone num­ber that had been pro­vided by that malay­it­sha who didn’t fam­ily, he was al­ready in Beit­bridge.

“Ap­par­ently he hasn’t been ar­rested yet but all we are stressed about now is sav­ing my son’s life. So far we have been bor­row­ing money for drips and other forms of med­i­ca­tion, while he awaits the rec­om­mended treat­ment which will be de­ter­mined by the scan re­sults.

“We haven’t re­ceived the full bill yet but doc­tors at Mpilo Cen­tral Hos­pi­tal have in­structed that he gets a head scan. The cheap­est place we got is Bulawayo Imag­ing Group which is charg­ing $600 and an am­bu­lance fee of $50 is also re­quired im­me­di­ately,” said the stressed Mr Ncube.

“He has spent six days in the ICU. Be­cause we don’t have money for the scan, there is no progress in get­ting him treated. We are ap­peal­ing to well wish­ers to as­sist us so that he starts re­ceiv­ing treat­ment.”

A ven­dor near Bul­let shops, who pre­ferred anonymity said, when some Good Sa­mar­i­tans tried to chase the malay­it­sha, he in­creased speed head­ing to­wards Nku­lumane 10.

“Fear­ing they might cause more ac­ci­dents, they let him go. But we then heard that he was a pop­u­lar malay­it­sha who ac­tu­ally con­tin­ued his er­rands on that even­ing, de­liv­er­ing goods some­where in Nku­lumane sub­urb.

“We heard when po­lice later tried to reach him, he said he was al­ready at Beit­bridge bor­der. We don’t know how true that was but we hope he will be ar­rested and suf­fer the con­se­quences be­cause he should have at-least stopped to check on the young man,” said the ven­dor.

Well-wish­ers can contact Mr Ncube on 0777 574 883 or his brother Mr Ever­est Ncube 0713 253 755. -@win­nie_­masara

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.