BULAWAYO, Thursday, April 20, 1967 — Bulawayo City Council is to set up a sub-committee to discuss complaints about the bus service with the operating company, following a plea at yesterday’s council meeting by Clr L Sexon that the service be investigated.
It was said at the meeting that people should send their complaints about the service to the Town Clerk’s office where the sub-committee could bring them to the attention of the company.
Clr Sexon said that for years people had been complaining about the service and nothing had been done. A few months ago he had put forward complaints and criticisms to the general manager and nothing had been done.
“There has been a deterioration in the service. There has been sugar cane, poultry baskets, produce sacks placed in the aisles, while European women are not allowed to board the buses because they have prams.”
A few minutes before the council meeting, a letter had been received from the general manager which referred to a window that was broken during the 1965 disturbances. Throughout the rainy season people could not sit on seats near the window because they were wet.
“There were many more complaints. It is the duty of council to provide a clean and efficient bus service,” said Clr Sexon.
Clr Goldwasser said ratepayers had voiced extreme dissatisfaction with the bus service. In the last year of petrol rationing, the importance of bus service had increased. “More Europeans have supported the service, but it has not increased. The schedules are impossible and it is time that we, as municipality took notice,” he said.