Sleep­ing mine worker mur­dered

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page - Nqo­bile Tshili

A MAN died while his brother is ad­mit­ted in the In­ten­sive Care Unit (ICU) of a Bu­l­awayo hospi­tal af­ter a co-worker axed them while they slept.

The trio, who are min­ers, are re­ported to have been fight­ing over diesel they had al­legedly stolen from their em­ployer at Nkenyane area along the Bu­l­awayo-Nkayi Road.

De­cent Magiya (38) al­legedly crept into a hut where Ad­mire Sibanda (22) and his un­named brother were sleep­ing on Tues­day night and car­ried out the hor­rific at­tack.

Sibanda died on the spot while his brother was rushed to the United Bu­l­awayo Hospitals where he was ad­mit­ted in the ICU.

A Chron­i­cle news crew vis­ited the area yes­ter­day and vil­lagers said they were shocked by the bru­tal at­tack.

Mr Du­misani Sibanda said the trio had just moved to the area as mine work­ers and com­mu­nity mem­bers knew lit­tle about them.

He said the trio had ear­lier fought over stolen diesel they had con­nived to sell to buy liquor.

Mr Sibanda said they started fight­ing at Nkenyane shops where they were drink­ing be­fore tak­ing their scuf­fle to their work place com­pound.

“The broth­ers teamed up to as­sault De­cent at the shops. He es­caped and went home to sleep. They fol­lowed him later and started as­sault­ing him. He es­caped to a nearby homestead,” said Mr Sibanda.

He said the fam­ily where he had sought refuge en­cour­aged him to sleep at their home but he de­clined the of­fer.

“He re­turned home and found the broth­ers asleep and struck them with the back of an axe. We only got to know of the ax­ing in the morn­ing af­ter he came pant­ing say­ing he had killed the two. He was still car­ry­ing the axe which was stained with blood,” Mr Sibanda said.

He said com­mu­nity mem­bers rushed to the scene where they found the broth­ers.

“The one who later died was breath­ing heav­ily. From a dis­tance you could tell that he was dy­ing. The po­lice and the am­bu­lance team could not save him. He died be­fore they could take him to hospi­tal. His brother was also crit­i­cal but the am­bu­lance crew rushed him to hospi­tal,” said Mr Sibanda.

He said Magiya was at the scene when the po­lice ar­rived but later dis­ap­peared.

Mr Sibanda said the sus­pect had been spot­ted car­ry­ing his axe and ly­ing on the road, rais­ing spec­u­la­tion that he wanted to com­mit sui­cide.

“He is around and with what he did he can’t be think­ing straight. He might be poach­ing from our farms to get food. But it will be good for him if he just sur­ren­ders him­self to the po­lice,” he said.

Act­ing Bu­l­awayo po­lice spokesper­son As­sis­tant In­spec­tor Abed­nico Ncube said in­ves­ti­ga­tions into the mat­ter were in progress.

He urged mem­bers of the pub­lic to de­sist from vi­o­lence.

“We strongly ap­peal to mem­bers of the pub­lic to avoid tak­ing mat­ters into their hands. When­ever they have dif­fer­ences they should seek third party ad­vice in­stead of fight­ing each other,” Asst Insp Ncube said.— @nqot­shili

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.