Bosso show Chibuku thirst

Chronicle (Zimbabwe) - - Front Page - Ricky Zililo

High­landers 2 -1 Yadah HIGH­LANDERS staged a dra­matic come­back, scor­ing two goals in­side 14 min­utes to storm into the Chibuku Su­per Cup quar­ter-fi­nals at Bar­bour­fields Sta­dium yes­ter­day.

Stung by an early sec­ond half goal struck by Yadah striker Simba Sithole in the 48th minute, Bosso over­came the vis­i­tors’ time wast­ing an­tics of feign­ing in­juries.

Left-back Mbon­geni Ndlovu equalised for High­landers in the 72nd minute with a sim­ple tap in, com­plet­ing a move started by cen­tral de­fender Peter Muduhwa.

New­man Sian­chali then grabbed the win­ner by fin­ish­ing off an­other move en­gi­neered by Muduhwa in the 86th minute.

Muduhwa’s long pass was into Sian­chali’s path by winger Gabriel Ny­oni and the striker obliged with a left footed shot to beat Yadah goal­keeper Steven Chimu­soro, spark­ing wild cel­e­bra­tions by Bosso fans, who had re­signed them­selves to a penalty shootout.

“We con­ceded just a few min­utes after the break and I think a lapse in con­cen­tra­tion on the part of the mid­field and clumsy de­fend­ing cost us.

“How­ever, the come­back was mar­vel­lous de­spite the fact that we didn’t play the best foot­ball. The most im­por­tant thing was to make our sup­port­ers happy,” said Madinda Ndlovu, the High­landers coach.

Bosso cre­ated a num­ber of scor­ing op­por­tu­ni­ties in the first half which they failed to con­vert.

Chimu­soro was well po­si­tioned to save a third minute at­tempt by Nigel Makumbe and Den­zel Khu­malo’s 29th minute drive from the edge of the box.

For­mer High­landers’ striker Ralph Matema failed to keep his 34th minute ef­fort on tar­get after do­ing well to shrug of his marker only to shoot over the bar.

High­landers felt hard done by ref­eree Phi­lan Ncube, who de­nied them a penalty after striker Tafadzwa Sibanda was hacked down in­side the box as he was go­ing for the kill.

Yadah then shot ahead three min­utes after the break; cap­i­tal­is­ing on loose de­fend­ing by Bosso. Sithole was un­lucky not to score a brace when his chip hit the cross­bar with High­landers’ goal­keeper Ariel Sibanda clearly beaten in the 54th minute.

Bosso right-back McClive Phiri watched in dis­be­lief as his 66th minute header was cleared off the line as Bosso piled pres­sure on the vis­i­tors.

Yadah play­ers re­sorted to feign­ing in­juries in a des­per­ate ef­fort to break High­landers’ mo­men­tum.

Coach Thomas Ruzive de­fended his play­ers’ an­tics and blamed his de­fend­ers for switch­ing off to con­cede at cru­cial times.

“At times foot­ball is very cruel; we did ev­ery­thing right, but my de­fend­ers went to sleep at a cru­cial stage,” said Ruzive.

High­landers play­ers cel­e­brate New­man Sian­chali’s win­ner

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.