Chief Ngezi con­victed of ter­ror­is­ing vil­lagers

The Herald (Zimbabwe) - - Crime & Courts - Daniel Ne­mukuyu Se­nior Court Re­porter

CHIEF NGEZI, who has been beat­ing up his sub­jects for al­leged dis­re­spect, has been fined af­ter be­ing con­victed of sev­eral charges.

The 35-year-old tra­di­tional leader, born Peter Pasi­pamire, gained no­to­ri­ety for beat­ing up sub­jects with the help of his aides, amid re­ports that he re­cently stormed three home­steads in Mhon­doro and Chegutu where he meted his own ver­sion of jus­tice.

Four vic­tims made re­ports to the po­lice, re­sult­ing in Chief Ngezi be­ing ar­rested.

On De­cem­ber 29 last year, Chegutu res­i­dent mag­is­trate Mr Felix Chau­romwe, con­victed Chief Ngezi on three sep­a­rate cases of as­sault.

The youth­ful tra­di­tional leader, in one of the cases, ap­peared alone charged with as­sault­ing Mr Tiri­van­gani Gore of Plot 18 Bor­den Farm, Chegutu and was fined $200 or al­ter­na­tively 60 days in prison.

On an­other record, Mr Chau­romwe slapped Chief Ngezi and his two aides — Paul Mushonga and Tawanda Mabika — with a fine of $200 each or al­ter­na­tively 60 days be­hind bars for beat­ing up Mr Thomp­son Mu­tashu of Mupingidza Vil­lage in Mhon­doro.

The chief and Mushonga were also found guilty of as­sault­ing Mr Zv­inake Zviperi of Mhon­doro and were or­dered to pay $200 each or spend 60 days in jail.

In yet an­other case which is now at the High Court on ap­peal, Chief Ngezi was fined $400 for the same charge.

He pleaded not guilty to the charges when his four tri­als opened last year, but was con­victed on over­whelm­ing ev­i­dence af­ter full hear­ings.

In mit­i­ga­tion, the tra­di­tional leader, who is mar­ried to three wives with nine chil­dren, pleaded with the court for a lighter sen­tence, say­ing he was the bread­win­ner.

Be­ing a tra­di­tional leader, he pleaded with the court for le­niency, say­ing he risked los­ing his chief­tain­ship if he was jailed.

On June 11, 2015 around 10am, Chief Ngezi and his un­named aides went to the home­stead of Mr Gabriel Musarurwa who had just been con­victed at the tra­di­tional court and at­tached two beasts.

Mr Gore, who is a nephew to Mr Musarurwa, tried to stop the chief and his aides from tak­ing away the beasts.

An al­ter­ca­tion en­sued, re­sult­ing in Chief Ngezi grab­bing Mr Gore by the col­lar, while hit­ting him with bricks, and fists all over the body. Mr Gore was se­ri­ously in­jured. On an­other day, Chief Ngezi, to­gether with his aides Mushonga and Mabika went on a re­venge mis­sion where they beat up peo­ple they sus­pected to be part of a gang that had pre­vi­ously as­saulted the tra­di­tional leader.

Trav­el­ling in two ve­hi­cles, the chief’s crew went knock­ing on the sus­pects’ doors and as­sault­ing them.

Mr Mu­tashu of Mupingidza Vil­lage could not be found at his home­stead, but later ran out of luck when the gang ap­pre­hended him at Musi­nami Busi­ness Cen­tre in Mhon­doro. He was beaten with sticks. An­other vic­tim, Mr Zviperi, was se­ri­ously in­jured when the gang beat him up with ba­tons and switches.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.