Rapist of­fers vic­tim $1:

The Manica Post - - Front Page - Post Re­porters

A 34-YEAR-OLD Buhera man who left his wife at home and raped a 12-yearold girl be­fore giv­ing her a $1 to buy her si­lence will spend the next 16 years be­hind bars after he was con­victed of rape by a Rusape re­gional court.

Re­gional mag­is­trate, Mrs Loice Mukun­yadze, did not have kind words for Farai Chit­samba, whom she said was sup­posed to quench his sex­ual de­sires on his wife and not abuse the mi­nor.

District pub­lic prose­cu­tor, Mr Tiri­vanhu Mutyasira, pressed for a lengthy jail term, say­ing Chit­samba was only lucky that he was con­victed be­fore the new amend­ments to the Crim­i­nal Law (Cod­i­fi­ca­tion and Re­form) Act which now calls for a 60-year manda­tory sen­tence to those who rape mi­nors.

Mrs Mukun­yadze sen­tenced Chit­samba to 18 years, but set aside two years on con­di­tion of good be­hav­iour.

Mr Mutyasira said Chit­samba of Chatya Vil­lage un­der Chief Nyashanu committed the of­fence on March 21.

“At around 5pm, the com­plainant was on her way to look for stray tur­keys when she met the ac­cused per­son. Chit­samba lured the girl to a bush where he was stand­ing,” he said.

Since the girl knew Chit­samba, she com­plied and pro­ceeded to where he was.

“As soon as she ar­rived, Chit­samba grabbed the mi­nor and pushed her to the ground. He raped her once. The girl tried to scream for help, but he threat­ened her with death,” said Mr Mutyasira.

After com­mit­ting the of­fence, he gave the mi­nor a $1 in a bid to buy her si­lence.

The girl went home and she did not tell any­one as she feared the death threats.

“The mat­ter only sur­faced last month when the girl’s grand­mother in­structed her to go to church and she re­fused. The grand­mother later told the girl’s mother that her daugh­ter was re­fus­ing to go to church. She was con­fronted over the is­sue and later dis­closed that she was afraid to go to church as she will be way­laid by the sus­pect who once raped her,” said Mr Mutyasira.

The mat­ter was then re­ported to the po­lice re­sult­ing in Chit­samba’s ar­rest.

Chit­samba de­nied the charge, say­ing the mi­nor was fab­ri­cat­ing the rape story as he was away dur­ing the time the crime was committed.

How­ever, the State pro­vided over­whelm­ing ev­i­dence which war­ranted a con­vic­tion.

In an un­re­lated case, a 26-yearold man from Mutare’s Hob­house high-den­sity sub­urb last Satur­day al­legedly snatched his niece from a party and lured her to nearby shops where he raped her.

The man was ar­rested and ap­peared in court on Mon­day fac­ing rape charges.

He was not asked to plead when he ap­peared be­fore Mutare mag­is­trate, Mr Lazarus Murendo, while Mr Fletcher Karombe pros­e­cuted.

The court heard that the un­cle took her to Ma­gada Shop­ping Cen­tre in Hob­house at around 6pm.

“Upon ar­rival, he took the girl be­hind the shops where he raped her. He took the girl back home at around 9pm.

“After a while, the girl’s mother found her in the toi­let naked. She in­ter­viewed her and she re­vealed that her un­cle had raped her. She fur­ther ob­served some blood­stains on the girl’s un­der­gar­ment,” said Mr Karombe.

A med­i­cal re­port con­firmed that pen­e­tra­tion was ef­fected. A blood-stained un­der­gar­ment was also re­cov­ered.

The un­cle was re­manded in cus­tody to 7.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.