Son kills fa­ther over ve­hi­cle

The Manica Post - - Local News - Wim­bainashe Zhakata and Jowel Mu­gariwa Post Correspondents

VIL­LAGERS in Chi­takatira were left shell shocked last week af­ter the body of a 42 year old man was ex­humed a week af­ter his burial fol­low­ing rev­e­la­tions that he had been poi­soned by his son over in­her­i­tance.

Al­le­ga­tions are that, Dereck Chi­takatira poi­soned his fa­ther, Lloyd Chi­takatira to death dur­ing a fast­ing ses­sion by ad­min­is­ter­ing rat poi­son in a bot­tle of wa­ter be­cause he wanted to in­herit his fa­ther’s car.

Man­i­ca­land Po­lice Spokesper­son In­spec­tor Tavhir­ingwa Kako­hwa con­firmed the in­ci­dent.

He said: “On March 8 Dereck in­serted rat poi­son into a con­tainer and di­luted it with wa­ter. His fa­ther gulped the mix­ture and in­stantly be­came ill.”

Insp Kako­hwa added that both the ac­cused and the de­ceased went to church for fast­ing at Mpudzi River on March 8 where they washed them­selves in the river and drank wa­ter af­ter­wards as part of their church be­lief.

“Dereck took ad­van­tage of the sit­u­a­tion and gave his fa­ther some wa­ter to drink. It is al­leged that he put rat poi­son into a bot­tle be­fore he gave his fa­ther to drink,” said Insp Kako­hwa.

He con­sumed the mix­ture and in­stantly be­came ill.

Chi­takatira was taken to Chi­takatira Clinic for treat­ment but it was too late. He died on March 10.

The fam­ily mem­bers to­gether with the church de­cided to bury the de­ceased on March 11 with­out a post-mortem be­ing con­ducted.

How­ever the body was ex­humed af­ter five days and fer­ried to Mutare Gen­eral Hos­pi­tal for post-mortem, which in­di­cated that he died from rat poi­son­ing.

Emerg­ing de­tails also in­di­cate that Dereck vis­ited a tra­di­tional healer in Burma val­ley to seek pro­tec­tion from the aveng­ing spirit of his fa­ther.

The tra­di­tional healer re­port­edly in­structed Dereck to write a let­ter con­fess­ing and ad­mit­ting that he poi­soned his fa­ther to death over a car and sub­mit it to him for fur­ther rit­u­als.

It is fur­ther al­leged that Dereck com­plied with the in­struc­tion and sub­mit­ted the let­ter to the tra­di­tional healer be­fore he re­turned home.

Sources said de­spite the tra­di­tional healer’s prom­ise that noth­ing was go­ing to haunt him, Dereck could not find peace, as night­mares and sus­pected vis­i­ta­tions by the late fa­ther’s spirit that are tra­di­tion­ally be­lieved to be caused by an aveng­ing spirit kept haunt­ing him, which prompted fam­ily mem­bers to take him to the po­lice for fur­ther prob­ing.

The let­ter was later handed over to the po­lice on the day that the ac­cused was ar­rested.

In an in­ter­view with the Man­ica Post the widow of the de­ceased, Spe­cial Maku­nika said: “I was robbed of my hus­band; I can­not stom­ach the pain. I am fail­ing to un­der­stand what kind of spirit came over my son to do such a heinous thing.”

She added: “When­ever some­thing like this hap­pens in the com­mu­nity, peo­ple al­ways see the widow as an out­cast and shun the fam­ily.”

Insp Kako­hwa urged mem­bers of the pub­lic to de­sist from crim­i­nal acts like mur­der but seek peace­ful means to set­tle mis­un­der­stand­ings, as mur­der en­tails a per­ma­nent ter­mi­na­tion of one’s life.

On March 16, Dereck ap­peared be­fore Mutare Mag­is­trate Mr Tendai Mahwe, fac­ing a mur­der charge.

He was charged with vi­o­lat­ing Sec­tion 47 of The Crim­i­nal Law Cod­i­fi­ca­tion and Re­form Act Chap­ter 9:23.

He was not asked to plead to the mur­der charges when he ap­peared in court and was re­manded to March 26 with­out an op­tion of bail.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.