Wife stran­gles cop to death

The Manica Post - - The Weekender - Love­more Kadzura Rusape Cor­re­spon­dent

A RUSAPE cop was last week stran­gled to death by his es­tranged wife who tried to cover up the heinous crime by pour­ing a poi­sonous liq­uid into his mouth to make it ap­pear like sui­cide.

Luck eluded the sus­pect An­ge­line Gashu (34), when an alert Dr Thomas Nya­mudya, of Rusape Gen­eral Hospi­tal, ob­served some bruise marks on Rich­more Tsuro’s neck and re­ferred his body for patho­log­i­cal ex­am­i­na­tion in Harare.

The pathol­o­gist dis­cov­ered that Tsuro had died of stran­gu­la­tion.

The two’s mar­riage had been on the rocks with Gashu ac­cus­ing Tsuro of in­fi­delity.

Gashu has since been ar­rested and ap­peared in court fac­ing mur­der charges.

She was not rep­re­sented when she ap­peared be­fore Rusape mag­is­trate, Mr Shane Kubon­era, who did not ask her to plead.

She was re­manded in cus­tody to Novem­ber 13 and ad­vised to ap­ply for bail at the High Court.

Pros­e­cu­tor Mr Gift Mutigwa said Gashu stran­gled Tsuro with an un­known ob­ject and killed him.

When she re­alised that he was dead, she poured some poi­sonous sub­stance into Tsuro’s mouth and put the con­tainer close to the body.

“The ac­cused and the now de­ceased were wife and hus­band, re­sid­ing at ZBS 2194 Ven­gere, Rusape. On Oc­to­ber 27, 2018, at around 0500hrs, Gashu had a mis­un­der­stand­ing with her hus­band over in­fi­delity. She ar­gued that her hus­band’s girl­friend was call­ing her on her (Gashu’s) mo­bile phone.

“Gashu then used an un­known ob­ject to stran­gle Tsuro to death. Upon dis­cov­er­ing that she had killed him, she tried to cover up the of­fence by putting the body on the floor and pour­ing a yet to be iden­ti­fied poi­sonous sub­stance into his mouth. She then placed small con­tainer be­side his body to make it ap­pear like sui­cide by drink­ing the poi­sonous sub­stance,” he said.

Mr Mutigwa said af­ter stage man­ag­ing the sui­cide, Gashu went to her sis­ter’s house in Mab­vazuwa but re­mained tight-lipped about the mat­ter.

“At around 2100hrs, Gashu went to Tsuro’s work­mate, Clarah Mwadiwa pur­port­edly look­ing for Tsuro. She per­suaded Mwadiwa to ac­com­pany her home and as­sist to fit a bulb in her bed­room.

‘‘Upon en­ter­ing the bed­room, Mwadiwa lit her cell phone torch while Gashu was fit­ting the bulb. In the process Mwadiwa no­ticed Tsuro ly­ing on the floor fac­ing up­wards and they quickly left the room to alert his other work­mates.

“Other po­lice of­fi­cers came and fer­ried the body to Rusape Gen­eral Hospi­tal for post mortem. On Oc­to­ber 28, 2018 Dr Thomas Nya­mudya wanted to per­form the post mortem when he dis­cov­ered some stran­gu­la­tion marks on Tsuro’s neck. He re­ferred the body to Parireny­atwa Hospi­tal for patho­log­i­cal tests.

“On Oc­to­ber 30, 2018 a post mortem was done by Dr Ye­hi­lyn Igle­sias, who con­cluded that the cause of death was me­chan­i­cal as­phixia or sec­ondary neck con­stric­tion,” said Mr Mutigwa.

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.