Broth­ers’ fa­tal fight

The Manica Post - - Front Page -

IN a mur­der case that has left vil­lagers near Shavam­biri Busi­ness Cen­tre shell-shocked, a Marange man fa­tally as­saulted his younger brother af­ter a beer binge.

The sib­lings — Nyashadza­she (35) and Mun­dawashe Chi­namira (25) — fought for sev­eral hours be­fore the former over­pow­ered the lat­ter and fa­tally struck him with an iron bar.

Man­i­ca­land pro­vin­cial po­lice spokesper­son, In­spec­tor Tavhir­ingwa Kako­hwa, con­firmed the case and said Nyashadza­she has since been charged with mur­der as de­fined in Sec­tion 47 of the Criminal Law (Cod­i­fi­ca­tion and Re­form) Act, Chap­ter 9:23. Insp Kako­hwa said on Oc­to­ber 6, Nyashadza­she and the now late Mun­dawashe spent the whole day drink­ing an il­licit brew at the busi­ness cen­tre.

Later that night, the heav­ily in­tox­i­cated broth­ers had a fierce brawl.

At around 10pm, their un­cle — Mr Ta­tenda Mu­soni — of­fered to ac­com­mo­date them in his bar­ber­shop for the night.

The broth­ers were left sleep­ing in the bar­ber­shop while Mr Mu­soni went home.

How­ever, Mr Mu­soni locked the screen door from out­side as his neph­ews were drunk.

At around mid­night, Mr Pa­trick Mu­tim­banyoka, a se­cu­rity guard at the busi­ness cen­tre, heard some noise com­ing from the bar­ber­shop and went to in­ves­ti­gate.

“He peeped through the screen door and saw the broth­ers fighting. Nyashadza­she threw an empty beer bottle at Mr Mu­tim­banyoka but missed him. The se­cu­rity guard ran for his life.

“When Mr Mu­tim­banyoka came back af­ter about 30 min­utes in the com­pany of a Mr Ti­nashe Kan­gorongo, the two broth­ers were

still fighting. The due tried to stop the broth­ers from fighting but they couldn’t do much since the screen door was still locked.

“Nyashadza­she at­tempted to strike Mr Mu­tim­banyoka with an iron bar so Messrs Mu­tim­banyoka and Kan­gorongo de­cided to leave,” said In­spec­tor Kako­hwa.

At around 5am the fol­low­ing morn­ing, Mr Mu­soni came back to un­lock the door. He found the two broth­ers ly­ing on the floor.

How­ever, there was blood all over the floor. Mun­dawashe had deep cuts on his head and was writhing in pain.

Mr Mu­soni quickly alerted other vil­lagers.

Mun­dawashe was fer­ried to the nearby Bako­ren­hema Clinic for treat­ment.

He died around 7.30am.

In­spec­tor Kako­hwa said Nyashadza­she ad­mit­ted that he com­mit­ted the of­fence, claim­ing that his younger sib­ling had threat­ened to cut off his head for rit­ual pur­poses.

The elder Chi­namira claims that Mun­dawashe stabbed him with a knife on his left arm, and there­fore he had acted in self-de­fence.

Nyashadza­she also says Mun­dawashe pro­voked him by uri­nat­ing in the room they were sleep­ing in.

Homi­cide de­tec­tives who at­tended the scene dis­cov­ered cuts on Nyashadza­she’s right shoul­der, right thumb, bruises on both legs and around the neck.

Mun­dawashe had some cuts on the head, bruises on his back, a cut be­hind his left ear as well as bruises on the fore­head.

The cops also re­cov­ered a blood stained iron bar at the scene.

In­spec­tor Kako­hwa

Newspapers in English

Newspapers from Zimbabwe

© PressReader. All rights reserved.