GRILLED CORN SALAD WITH SESAME-CRUSTED AVOCADO, COUSCOUS & LIME CREMA
SERVES 6 HANDS-ON 15 MINUTES COOKING TIME 15 MINUTES
3 corn cobs, husks removed
Extra-virgin olive oil
3 tablespoons sesame seeds (white, black or both), toasted 1 large (or 2 small) avocado, stone and skin removed 280g (1½ cups) couscous
500ml (2 cups) just-boiled vegetable stock
1 cup baby rocket leaves
Handful of coriander leaves (optional)
Sea salt and black pepper
125g (½ cup) creme fraiche
Zest and juice of 1 lime
½ garlic clove, very finely chopped
1. To make the lime crema, place creme fraiche in a small bowl and add lime zest and juice and garlic. Stir to combine and season with sea salt. Set aside.
2. Preheat a barbecue or large frying pan to high. Coat corn in olive oil, place it on the hot cooking surface and cook, turning often, until evenly charred on all sides. Remove and allow to cool. When cool enough to handle, slice one cob into 1 cm thick slices and, using a sharp knife, remove kernels from other two cobs. Set aside.
3. Place the sesame seeds in a shallow bowl and season with sea salt and black pepper. Slice each avocado into eight wedges. Carefully dip each slice in the sesame seeds until well coated. Reserve any leftover seeds to add to the salad at the end.
4. Heat a tablespoon of oil in a frying pan over a medium–low heat. Fry the sesame-crusted avocado for about 1 minute on each side, or until the sesame seeds are golden, turning them very carefully with a pair of tongs. Allow to cool.
5. Place the couscous in a shallow baking dish, sprinkle with sea salt and drizzle over 1 tablespoon or so of oil. Stir to mix well. Pour hot vegetable stock over top and cover immediately with plastic wrap. Leave for 10 minutes. When ready, remove plastic wrap and drizzle over another tablespoon of oil. Using a fork or chopsticks, fluff up grains.
6. To serve, combine couscous, corn kernels and slices, rocket, coriander (if using) and any leftover sesame seeds. Season well with sea salt and black pepper and drizzle over a little extra oil. Top with the avocado pieces and spoon over the lime crema to finish.
NUTRITION (per serving) 2357 kJ/564 cal. Protein 12.8g. Saturated fat 9.4g. Carbs 47.2g. Fibre 8.6g. Sodium 420mg.