BANG BANG CHICKEN RICE
SERVES 4 HANDS-ON TIME 20 MINUTES COOKING TIME 20 MINUTES, PLUS RICE COOKING TIME
3 gluten-free, chicken stock cubes, dissolved in 2 cups
(500 ml) boiling water
1 star anise
1 teaspoon Sichuan peppercorns
1cm piece ginger, crushed
400g chicken breast fillets
150g green beans, trimmed
2 Lebanese cucumbers, cut
into thin batons
1 carrot, cut into thin batons
1 pale inner stalk celery, cut
into thin batons
½ iceberg lettuce or ½ Chinese
2 cups cooked basmati rice
2 spring onions (green tops only),
CASHEW TAHINI DRESSING
1 teaspoon garlic-infused olive oil 2 tablespoons unsalted cashew butter 1 teaspoon tahini
1–2 teaspoons lime juice, or to taste
1 ½–2 tablespoons boiling water 2 teaspoons tamari (gluten-free soy sauce) 1. Place the stock, star anise, Sichuan peppercorns and ginger in a small heavy-based saucepan and bring to the boil over high heat. Add the chicken and a little water if necessary to ensure it is covered, then return to a simmer.
2. Reduce the heat to low–medium and simmer for 12 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. Remove from the heat, cover and leave to rest in the poaching liquid while you prepare the salad.
3. Cook the green beans in a saucepan of simmering water for 3 minutes or until tender but still crisp, then drain and set aside.
4. To make the dressing, place all the ingredients together in a small bowl and stir until smooth and well combined. Set aside until required.
Cut the chicken into thick slices or shred into bite-sized pieces, using 2 forks; discard the cooking liquid.
5. Place the green beans, cucumber, carrot, celery and lettuce or cabbage in a bowl and gently toss to combine. Add a spoonful of the dressing and toss gently to mix through. (Alternatively, place each one in a separate pile on top of the rice in each bowl.)
6. Divide the rice among 4 bowls, then top each one with one-quarter of the chicken and one-quarter of the salad. Drizzle the remaining dressing evenly over the chicken, then scatter with spring onion and serve immediately.
NUTRITION (per serving) 1641 kJ/393 cal. Protein 30.1g. Saturated fat 1.7g. Carbs 40.4g. Fibre 7.2g. Sodium 967mg.